Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Price of Freedom


It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us freedom to demonstrate.
It is the soldier, not the lawyer, who has given us the right to a fair trial.
It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves under the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protester to burn the flag.
It is the soldier.


Today, I visited the grave of Cesar F Machado-Olmos, L CPL, US marine corps, Iraq. He was born on September 20th, 1983 and died just 7 days before his 21st birthday in 2004. Even in death, Lieutenant Corporal Machado-Olmos has the unwavering support of friends and family. His grave site was lovingly decorated and the poem above was laminated and attached to a flagpole. Also on the card was a picture of a bald eagle and a quote by Wendell Phillips: “Eternal Vigilance is the price of liberty.” Finally, the card contained a handwritten poem titled “Grieve not.”

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there, I do not sleep
I am the thousand winds that blow
I am the diamond glints on snow
I am the sunlight on ripened grain
I am the gentle autumnal rain
When you waken in the morning hush
I am the soft uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight
I am the stars that shine at night
Do not stand at my grave and cry
I am not there, I did not die.


I do not know Lieutenant Corporal Machado-Olmos except by his grave, but I know he was a true patriot. I am just one of the nameless, faceless Americans for whom he gave his life. Someday I will thank him in person.

This Saturday, May 19, 2007, is Armed Forces Day. It is a day to honor our men and women in uniform—past and present. Let us honor them without qualification. They are brave. They are selfless. They are real life superheroes.

A few years ago, I received a brochure in the mail. Pictured on this brochure are several white crosses and the words, “The privilege of voting comes with a high cost. But don't worry. A friend picked up the tab for you.” I keep this brochure to remind me of the price of freedom. To all the heroes—living and dead—who have paid this price, I say thank you. I will try use my freedom wisely and do good things with my life. I will honor you and the country you fight for. I will do everything I can to preserve the freedom that means so much to both of us.

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.


We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.


Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
-Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae


God bless our troops,

Strategos

No comments: